Thursday, August 16, 2012

Grocery Lists

So I broke my list up...

First I made a big master list, which not only has what I need, but how it needs to be prepped.  This way after I buy my groceries I can just prep each item once (for example, mince all my garlic at once in stead of for each individual recipe.)

Then I split the list into smaller lists: things I have on hand, things I need to check to see if I have, Grocery Store, Farm Market, Specialty Store (Best Market), Meat.  I am not going to post those (because what do you care where I buy my groceries), but wanted to give you an idea of how to split your lists.

We have a store local to us called Best Market.  I don't go there often, but they do tend to have great prices on meat and produce.  Their produce can be iffy at times and is best used the day it is bought or shortly after.  My favorite thing to go there for, though, is cheese.  They have a very large and very affordable cheese department there and I have never been disappointed with anything I have bought.  I will go there just for my cheese and to price meat.

I keep meat separate because it is typically the most expensive part of the meal and so I do not mind spending a little time price comparing.  I will check a few grocery stores circulars when I go to shop, as well as Best Market and wholesale clubs.  Looking back at my list, I am not using a lot of meat in this menu.  I really didn't do that on purpose, but it really works out for a few reasons.  One being it lowers the investment in the freezer menu.  I don't typically shop for 16 dinners at a time so using things I have on hand and less meat will definitely make it hurt the wallet less.

Master List

Pantry

~Olive Oil: 3 tablespoons
1 28-oz. can of whole tomatoes
~1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
~1 pound Rigatoni
~Vegetable Oil: 1 tablespoon
~Canned Corn, 5 1/2 cups (about 3 cans)**
~1/4 cup Flour
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
~1 Can Vegetable Broth
~1 Can Black Beans
~1 can chickpeas
16 Corn Tortillas
8 cans beef broth
Beef granules: 10 teaspoons
~Cornstarch: 10 tablespoons

Produce

1 Red Onion
~10 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz. Baby Spinach
4 White Onions, chopped
1 Jalapeno, minced
2 Red Bell Peppers, diced
4 White Potatoes, peeled and diced*
1 1/2 pounds Green Beans, ends snipped and cut into 1" pieces (about 6 cups)
3 pounds Plum Tomatoes, cored and halved (about 12)
1/2 pound Carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4" pieces
1 large eggplant

Etc.

1/4 cup Vodka (optional)

Seasoning/Spices

~Oregano: 1/2 teaspoon
~Chili Powder: 1 tablespoon
~Ground Cumin: 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons
Ground Coriander: 1 tablespoon
~Thyme: 1/2 teaspoon
~Curry: 2 teaspoons
Montreal Steak Seasoning: 4 teaspoons

Dairy

Heavy Cream, 1/2 cup
6 oz. Fontina Cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
~Butter, 3 tablespoons 
Milk, 3 cups
Jack Cheese, 3 cups

Meat

10 oz. Chicken Sausage 
4 pounds Ground Beef
8 Chicken Breasts

Freezer

1 Box Frozen Chopped Spinach

~These are things I have on hand.  This only matters when I give my shopping totals.

*I also plan on making a large batch of mashed potatoes to portion and freezer.  This will require additional potatoes, milk and butter.  I will buy a bag of potatoes and be able to use the milk and butter I am purchasing/previously purchased.

**Some recipes called for fresh corn off the cob or frozen corn.  I have a stockpile of canned corn, so that is what I am using.   Plus it is more convenient than cooking and decobbing (new word?) fresh corn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment