Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Peaches for Dessert

My pregnancy brain is getting worse and worse...

At 9:45 this morning, on my way out to take my daughter to the movies I realized I had an eyebrow appointment in 15 minutes.  Now I could either make the appointment (barely) and disappoint my daughter or take my daughter and disappoint my eyebrows.  Of course, I disappoint my eyebrows.  I make a quick phone call to try and reschedule and I am so nicely told that... my appointment is at 4:30.  Phew!  Crisis averted...

I missed it anyway.  I completely forgot till it hit me at 5:30.  I have never done that before, no call, no show.  Ugh.  I called again right away and luckily they understood and were able to get me another appointment on Thursday.  

But, I did not forget about the amazing peaches in my kitchen and the dessert that I was going to make tonight.  Except, I couldn't remember if my husband requested peach cobbler or peach crumble.  Ugh again.  Oh well cobbler, crumble...can you go wrong either way!  Crumble it is.

The Whisk Kid posted a recipe for a peach crumble (original recipe here) that was a little less than traditional.  It had a yummy peach filling, but the topping was that of a crumb cake and not a traditional crumble.  This sounds amazing and I was going to try it.  So first, I assembled my ingredients.  I started by making the crumb topping and followed the directions, but added half a teaspoon of cinnamon as well because it just seemed like it needed some cinnamon.

I started making my peach filling.  The recipe called for 2 pounds and 9 ounces of peaches... um, what?  I tried to eyeball the final product picture and thought that 6-7 average sized peaches should do it.  I peeled and sliced the peaches over my 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup being sure to catch all the juices that were pouring out of these things.  Peeling them was easy since they were so ripe, but took a bit of time.  I made my filling, adding a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg to the peaches and substituted a teaspoon of vanilla extract for the vanilla seeds.  They were so delicious as a filling that I was already planning making a pie out of it next time we go peach picking.  

Peach Filling, Peach Skins and Pits, Crumb Topping
 Assembled and baked.  1 hour at 400.

I'm done!

The Verdict:  In a word, AMAZING!  There was nothing to complain about.  Well, the one thing I can complain about is the peach picking season is too short for this recipe to be this good.  I wonder how it would come out with canned peaches in the winter?  And other fruit?  This one was a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment